Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 8 Motivation

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time staying motivated to exercise, eat better, and take care of my spirit.  Our relief society started a wellness challenge today in hopes that we could help push each other to be just a little better.  We get points for personal prayer and scripture study, 20 minutes of exercise, drinking out 64 oz of water, and eating 5 fruits and veggies.  I have found a new friend here in my small town (that is a tender mercy in and of itself) and she wanted to take the challenge with me.  But we decided to step it up a few notches.  We added a few more things, such as no sugary sweets or treats for the day, and losing points for raising our voices to our kids.  And we gave ourselves 1 point for every minute we exercise.

Like most people, I exercise better when someone else is expecting me to show up, and if they will talk to me while I am working out-you know so that I don't think about what I am doing.  So this morning to kick off our challenge we decided to walk.  For the past year I have been struggling with an adrenal gland problem and it has been really difficult for me to exercise.  So needless to say, I am really out of shape.  After about 30 minutes I wasn't sure how long I would make it.  But we kept going. I kept going because SHE kept going.  And I am so grateful!  Yep, it pretty much wiped me out for the rest of the day, but I know it will all be worth it.  My tender mercy for today is a friend who accepts me for who I am, but knows I can be better and pushes and encourages me to improve and reach my goals.  I know a loving Heavenly Father sent someone my way to help me achieve my goals.  And I think He's doing the same for her.  We said today that we felt we were being guided by the Spirit, and that gives us the strength to do what we need to do to be better mothers, wives, daughters, and servants.

Has the Lord placed someone in your life that has helped or is helping you reach your potential?  Tell me about it.

2 comments:

  1. Shelly,
    Glad to hear your thoughts. I hear you on lots of topics of motherhood, wife of a business owner, and trying to make a home, all while working to be a little more healthy and be a mom with a little more patience. Funny we are so far away but still going through the same things and trying to end up the same place. Glad you are sharing.
    Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly! I didn't know you started this blog til' just now! Way to go! It's wonderful! Tender mercies are a great thing to focus on!!! I love your new challenge! I've been doing something similar but haven't been keeping points. It helps me to have a checklist of simple things I can accomplish everyday. Good for you! Great friends are indeed a tender mercy! i would know. :)

    ReplyDelete